Applying for residency in Spain has been and will continue to be a challenge for some UK nationals and their family members. While many people have successfully obtained residency under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement or under the General Regime, many others have seen their applications rejected, sometimes on multiple occasions.
Given that the UK Nationals Support Project for Residency is reaching an end, we will unfortunately no longer be able to provide specific and individualised guidance in this regard. However, in this article, we will direct you to where you could seek further advice or assistance with applying for residency, mainly in the region of Valencia (provinces of Alicante, Valencia and Castellón).
Before you contact any of these sources, we would encourage you to research some information yourself, in order to achieve a general understanding of the options you may have in your situation. You may find the answer to your questions without having to seek external support.
If you don’t know where to start and you would like to obtain information first regarding how to apply for residency or how to appeal the Immigration Office’s decision, please visit the UK nationals section of our Website. You will find different articles with detailed tutorials and useful guidelines. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Applying for residency in Spain under the ‘Immigration General Regime’ for UK nationals and family members
For updated content regarding residency, check our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BabeliaInEnglish
For specialised advice on residency:
1. PANGEA offices
These are the municipal offices that provide guidance with immigration matters in the Comunitat Valenciana (provinces of Alicante, Valencia and Castellón), free of charge at your local town hall.
Please access the following links to find the office of your town or the nearest one to your address:
2. ATLAS Service
The ATLAS Service is a public-funded project by the Generalitat Valenciana (the autonomous government of the Comunitat Valenciana) to provide information to migrants and asylum seekers in the provinces of Alicante, Valencia and Castellon. You can call them for free:
3. Legal experts
At this stage, we would encourage you to contact a ‘gestor’ or a registered solicitor for further advice and assistance. If you have already been through the process of applying for residency and you need legal expert advice but you can’t find a suitable solicitor or you don’t have the economic means to hire anyone, contact your nearest Bar Association and ask if you would be eligible for support from a free legal representative (abogado de oficio).
- Find the contact details of the closest Bar Association to your town: https://www.abogacia.es/conocenos/consejo-general/colegios-y-consejos/. To find the Bar Association closest to you, click on your province on the map as shown below.
- List of English speaking lawyers: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spain-list-of-lawyers
- List of English speaking gestores on the UK government Website gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spain-list-of-lawyers/list-of-registered-gestores-in-spain
Please note, these lists are not exhaustive and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office does not endorse any of the providers. You should research whether a service provider will be suitable.
- Or, find the closest gestores to your address: http://registro-gestores.org. To do this, you will need to activate the localisation option on your mobile phone. Otherwise, you can select the ‘Búsqueda avanzada‘ option as seen in the example below, and enter your postal code (código postal) or your town (Municipio). You can also select their area of specialisation, in this case Extranjería.
Please make sure that the professional you are hiring is an expert in the immigration field and ask for their registration number (número de colegiado).
4. Other entities that may be able to offer advice or information:
If you wish to contact a non-profit organisation, you may wish to visit Support in Spain’s website where you can search for organisations in your area in their directory. Their database allows you to filter the results based on location and the kind of support you need.
You may also need to contact the Spanish consulates in the UK if you are willing to apply for a Visa. Please find below the contact details of the three Spanish Consulates in the UK:
In case you wish to contact the British Consulate in Alicante, please find below the contact details:
BRITISH CONSULATE IN ALICANTE
Edificio Espacio, Rambla Méndez Núñez 28-32, 6ª planta, 03002 Alicante
Tel: +34 965 21 60 22
To complete the contact form, access the following link British Consulate – Contact form and click on “No, I would like to submit my enquiry“.