Many UK nationals who have been residents in Spain before the end of the transition period have contacted us informing that they haven’t been allowed to fly back to their homes in Spain from the UK because of Covid 19 restrictions and because they couldn’t show the required evidence of residence in Spain to the airline company.
Well, the Spanish government has formally confirmed to the British government the additional documents accepted as proof of residence for entry to Spain other than the new TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) or the Green Certificate/Card (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión).
Here is some of the information issued today, 17 February 2021, on gov.uk:
«The Spanish government has formally confirmed to the UK government that UK nationals who were legally residing in Spain before 1 January 2021, and as such are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement, can use any of the following documents to prove their residence status when entering Spain:
- Residence card issued under Article 18.4 of the Withdrawal Agreement (the TIE – Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero)
- Temporary or permanent EU residence certificate (Certificado de Registro de Ciudadanos de la Unión)
- Receipt of application for the TIE (Resgaurdo de presentación de la solicitud de la tarjeta de residencia)
- Confirmation of the positive outcome of your residence application (Resolución favorable por la que se concede la tarjeta de residencia)
- In the absence of any of the above documents, other documents that credibly evidence your legal residence in Spain before 1 January 2021, such as a padrón certificate (issued by your town hall), a work contract, a rental contract, or proof of property purchase
- In the case of students, documentation that demonstrates enrolment in an on-site or in-person course and proof of accommodation
You must also show a valid passport when you travel and comply with the other documentation requirements, such as a negative COVID test within 72 hours of arrival, as set out in this travel advice.
The above list of documentation has also been communicated to airlines and other operators».
IMPORTANT! Please make sure to take with you to the airport as many documents proving residency in Spain as possible.